The Washing Machine
Many sofas will have a label, advising against putting detachable cushion covers in your washing machine and this is for good reason.
Things which can go wrong include .
1. Shrinkage which prevents the cover being placed back over the filling, or puts such a strain on the zips that they break.
2. Colour bleed/run, generally caused by using chemicals which are too alkaline.
3. Colour fading so that the cushions are a different shade to the fixed parts of the suite, usually caused by using washing chemicals which contain bleaches.
4. Delamination/bubbling usually caused by washing fake suedes at too high a temperature.
The spot cleaner
Problems caused include.
1. Spreading the stain.
2. Water marking .
3. Removal of background colour .
4. Discolouration caused by browning .
1. Buttons rusting .
2. Sofa smelling due to over wetting .